Ibex Benchmark attempt

Yuma BLM



Click for map.

Today I am going after the Ibex benchmark. It is not on that impressive peak I was looking at yesterday, but should give me another look at it to perhaps help plot an approach. To get up that one, I have picked a wash on the west side which is a fair bit of flat stuff south of Plomosa Road. A lot of this flat stuff does not even look to require high clearance, but I'm trying not to take the car places it's really not supposed to go, so I have to walk it. So I better get moving.

hills with a road over them
A few hills to get past again, then out on the flats.

There are two roads heading off where I thought I wanted to park and two roads headed off where I did park, but they aren't the same roads, so I am promptly headed off in somewhat the wrong direction. There are just a lot more roads on the land than on my various maps. I seem to be getting closer to a geocache and it is only a quarter mile out of my way and I might as well get it now that I'm "close" to it, so there is even more extra hiking. But what can it matter? It is all flat stuff and I get to check out a spot that seems to get a bit more water than the surrounding area.

north of mountains
Coming in north of the mountain group. I need to be in the flats to the right, but I can explore a little to the left briefly.

It always takes a bit longer than expected, but I am soon striding along a wash, then across it, then actually on my target road and headed south. There are a couple more geocaches to find, but they're all close to the road. And I'm letting the section corners go, even the one that is only 600 feet off.

fun shapes in the rocks
I was a little closer to some of those bumps before, but now getting along south.

tiny arch at the top of cliffy area
On the one side, cliffs and interesting shapes and even a another small arch way up near the top.

distant mountains
On the other side, a vast plain with distant mountains.

a couple ruts through the desert
And in the middle, just a long road with only small ups and downs.

It occurs to me to go ahead and read the reach a little before I get to the thing in case I might be able to go looking for an azimuth. It looks like I am again accidentally following it except that they come from the south for the very good reason that it's about half as far that way. I may be getting a bit too flippant about plotting routes. They turn easterly into a flat bench past a rocky knoll with the azimuth and park a bit further on, then continue up wash and ridges easterly. The knoll is surrounded by flat area. Arriving at the north end of the wide, flat area that goes easterly toward the mountain, I pick out some likely candidates as rocky knolls. There should be a road further on to follow, but I just can't be bothered to wait for it instead of walking across the flat desert.

flat to the east
The flat extends to the east for a bit and out there looks like a rocky knoll.

I've gotten about halfway to the rocky knoll that isn't quite surrounded by flat bits when I glance right to spot a much better candidate.

short hill in the flat
Now that's a rocky knoll in the middle of the flat terrain.

view from the rocky knoll in the direction of the peak
View from atop the rocky knoll. The peak is supposed to be a rounded one with higher, sharper peaks to the east. It might be visible from here.

The top of the rocky knoll may give a view of the peak, except I'm not yet sure which one it is. It is supposed to be a rounded one and there are sharper, higher ones east of it. There is a rounded one just visible, but not much of eastern peaks except Ibex itself looking pointy in the distance to the right, nearly hidden away. The benchmark is supposed to be on the northwest side which just happens to look like it has had recent rock fall. Some of the newly exposed rocks are downright grey. I can find no sign of an azimuth, but the grey rocks make that inconclusive. The road passes near the bottom of the knoll, so I follow it over to the other rocky spots I had looked at before, but they are somewhat connected to the side of the canyon, so it is not surprising that they hold nothing either. They also have no view of the possible peak. They do give a view of the rocky knoll that shows it is the only one out there surrounded by flat area. The road ends just past a little mining concern at a turn around beside a rock with a circle of stakes below it. It looks like a fence to protect rock art except the fence itself never got constructed and the rock above is another freshly fallen rock face that now gathers campfire soot. Around the corner is the wash I want to go up. "End of truck travel."

bump in flats with a city in the distance
Looking back to the single rocky knoll in the flats around here and distant Quartzsite.

There seems to be a bit of trail off the end of the road and I follow it around the rock and into more wash. It is more big, flat area except cuts come through it some 20-40 feet deep. Three big washes come into the area and the one I want is the middle. It just has this nice, even look to it on the map. So I pick my way toward it only a little worried that they say whatever they did is a "2 hour pack" and it has gotten a little later than I might want.

where three washes meet
After a narrow spot, more wide flats where three washes meet.

short, steep wash to sharp bits
Off to the left, the wash does not seem to be all that long but still collects quite a lot of water when it lets loose.

The right wash could be a route up, too, but I stick to my plan and go down the middle. Water must thrash and tumble a bit here when it flows. There is none of that sandy bottom. This is strewn with big boulders and a generally more complicated travel. I find myself on something like a trail high above it and decide to stay there as I enter and climb.

into the wash
Following a line of travel up above the boulder strewn wash. Where it does get a bit flat, it has a bit much vegetation.

Not that I can stay high for all that long, so soon I am making my way through the boulders. There is a way that is not too bad with plants and steps, mostly, although it winds a lot. Meanwhile, I find my self struck by this thing I keep calling a wash. It really is a canyon with high walls and beauty.

rocky road upwars
Just a little twisting rock hopping between the high sides.

My way is barred by a waterfall. Like a real, vertical rock wall that the water comes down. That is not something I have seen in this area. Only 30 feet or so, but plenty to stop me. I had thought I saw a trail going up the side to the right. I ultimately decide to go up to the left where there seem to be two generally safe ways across to pass it. The far side shows no way through for the right side route, so I am glad of my pick.

vertical rock face
Waterfall. Just add water.

It grows steeper in sections and it is becoming apparent that I will never get up this canyon in a reasonable time to get down again. I am just 800 feet from a spring, so maybe that can be my turn around point. It could be fun to see, if it is there. There are puddles from the last rain, but I don't see anything flowing, so it is hard to believe it might be.

small tunnel
Hold on, that doesn't look natural. Even up this rugged thing, there is a small mine.

sharp stuff in the only passage
Sharp things in the only way through.

Or maybe not even that far. At 200 feet until the spring, there is another chock spot, this one forcing me to get up close to some catsclaw. Somehow, when already deciding to turn around early, it is easy to turn around a little earlier when faced with thorny things. I know that the springs I have seen actually sink back in as quickly as that, but I still don't quite believe in it, so it does push me on very well. Back I will go.

up the canyon
Another look up the canyon.

One of the rocks in the bottom looks like a broken piece of concrete brick. This canyon contains mysteries. I stop above the waterfall to eat, realizing I haven't had anything yet and it is well after noon.

spine of hard rock coming down
The line of hard rock that forms the waterfall.

Then back, mostly the way I came. Sometimes higher, sometimes lower. I come down through a tunnel in a rock at one point on the way up and spot an arch in the rocks on the way down. So many little wonders. Making my way through the meeting of the washes, I find myself passing navigational cairns. It must be what someone things is the best way through these gullies.

arch in the rocks
These arches certainly seem quite common.

Then I am back out again and nothing to do but the long, flat walk back. Well, I could go after those section corners. It'll be dark by the time I get back, but I'm on road anyway. There is supposed to be a closing corner just over that low ridge. So I go, with some sheep path to help me find the best way.

low ridge with sheep trails
Nice and easy, especially with sheep trails.

The corner is easy to spot with claim markers poking in next to it. It is an oddity. It is stamped 1915, the "191" part of the mold, but is a larger disk than has been usual for the 1915 era finds I have been making. The other side of the closing corner is also marked, and when I get to it, spiked with a claim marker, it is also stamped 1915, but of the usual size.

spires and such
Got to try not to forget to look around at the area while searching for man's mark on it.

closing corner
A closing corner of the more usual style for 1915. The other does not show the extra corner on the side, either.

And just 1000 feet back to the road. Totally not out of my way. The next is the one 600 feet off and there is even a road to help me get there quickly. Three claim markers serve as witness posts for it. It is a wider disk, but stamped 1952, so I believe it. The third is 1000 feet the other way and once I get there, there's just a lot of wash. There's big trees, so the wash hasn't pulverized everything, but I can't find the corner. I spiral out a few different directions, but nothing comes up. One of the few I have not found.

two ruts in the flat small rocks
Just a lot of flat to get back on.

rows of cliffs
The rows of cliffs take on a different look with the substantially different light.

I spent sunset looking for the last corner, so it is dark by the time I get back. My efforts to walk without a light are thwarted by the wash crossings where there is often a curve with very uneven footing and a scattering of rolling rocks for fun. Out of the washes, the only worry is sand which slows me down and is usually only on one side of the road of the other.




©2019 Valerie Norton
Written 17 February 2019

Liked this? Interesting? Click the three bars at the top left for the menu to read more or subscribe!


Comments

follow by email

popular posts:

Jennie Lakes: Belle Canyon and Rowell Meadow

Lost Coast: Cooskie Creek Route

Mount Lassic

If the Map's Wrong, Fix It!