Pinon Knob

Gila National Forest


Click for map.

That bit of southbound Continental Divide Trail still awaits some walking, so that is for today. This bit of trail is, again, in its purest form just about exactly following that great divide. I picked out Pinon Knob as a destination, which should be a little less than 10 miles on the trail and then a short ramble up to stand on the named peak. It's quite a bit lower than the start, but it sticks out a bit so might have some good views. I think I'll go up an unnamed peak 9403 on the way out, too, for the high point of the day. The Forest Service claims I'll be going there anyway but OpenStreetMap thinks I'll more sensibly go around the side of it, but still mostly up it. It'll be another long day.

southbound CDT
Warnings about the dangers of entering burned areas, but nothing saying the CDT is here except the crest nailed to a tree a little way in.

So I start the same direction as northbound, but on the other side of the fence. Some nice, fresh crests have been nailed to the trees to aid the blazes in showing the way, but the trail seems visible enough. I wouldn't be worried, except that everyone seems to take the "Gila alternate" through here and it reconnects with the real trail right where I started. They could jaunt a short way to the east earlier and reduce the road walking by about 15 miles, but most don't get beyond navigating either the trail or well known alternates, so this bit of trail does not get the benefit of 400 through hikers and however many section hikers to keep it established.

trees with a backdrop of mountain
The trail swings easterly before finally turning south along the ridge of Tularosa Mountains.

a blaze that is partly made distinct by the fire and partly burned away
After a fire, blazes can sometimes be a little bit difficult to follow.

An open space, a little more open after the fire, briefly presents a challenge for finding trail, but eventually I can spot some old cuts and new cuts, little cairns and big cairns. The crew that came through nailing crests to the trees did a bit more than that to provide clues as to where the trail goes and meadow areas can be hard to keep a good footpath through. The rest is fine as it runs along more fence, crosses one old road with at least 10 years of tree growth sprouting out of it but a nice gate to serve it, then drops onto a slightly used road next to a massive cairn.

Elk Mountain
Elk Mountain to the south. I should have found a way up that one.

The road leaves no doubt where to go and the crests follow along to reassure me. It passes near Spurgeon Tank, which has water covered in green although it is not that large. It must be brought in the for the cows, which are definitely on this side of the fence. Today's lesser spotted predator is a fox. This one looks up at me a moment, then back down. In movements and posture, it seems to say, "Ah, human. Yes. I am afraid I can't quite give you much attention. You see, I have a hole here to watch and it is a fair bit more important than you." The head swings up and back a few times as I continue past down the road.


fox with a hole to watch
One fox determined to keep on watching its hole rather than run off from the hiker.

Eagle Peak
Eagle Peak is just visible over Buzzard Peak at the right. The little box of a lookout is visible too.

Just before the road comes to another gate, there is another big cairn to show where the trail breaks off. It looks like this spot has been used as a campsite for both hikers and drivers. A tiny green tree sits across the road just past the gate, so drivers are probably not going any further this way either. The map shows a spring a short way down the other side of the mountain, so I expect the road goes there. I can't say for sure since none of my maps shows it. It's short enough to check, but my mind right now is on the high point of the day, that unnamed peak 9403. The trail climbs a little too directly but the rotting wood water bars indicate it is the one I want and not cattle trying to confuse me.

faint but visible trail with crest and blaze
Trail is faint, but visible, beside a blaze with an old fiberglass crest nailed in the top.

I suspect the peak might be on the far side of the fence, so leave the trail to take advantage of a spot where it is down, then follow up along the ridge. The peak is not on the far side of the fence, but it doesn't matter because I can fairly freely cross it as I go up. The cows seem to have noticed this freedom too. The excursion gives some fine northerly views I would not have gotten staying to the trail.

north to east
Some fine northerly views from near the top and on around to the easterly.

The little peak is tree covered with a little bit of view. The Department of Agriculture has dropped a benchmark simply labeled "AAS 10" in 1938. Someone else has left a little vitamin bottle register which survived the fire last year. They call this the Tularosa Mountains high point, but since Eagle Peak is 383 feet higher and seems to also be part of the Tularosa Mountains, I suspect that is wrong.

little register on peak 9403
Maybe it's trying to say it's the Long Canyon Mountains high point, which could be true. Four entries since 2001 in this little register, and Bob Packard got here first. Five once I've added mine.

Then down along another ridge to catch the trail again. There is actually a little bit of trail up here... and a couple of blazes! My Forest Service map isn't lying to me about where the trail goes, it's just really out of date! It shows the trail missing Pinon Knob, so I won't get any old trail up that. The new trail is obvious when I reach it, especially with its flashy plastic crests and old stamped wood piece crests. And now, there is a lot of down.

marker for old trail
A blaze to mark the old trail off peak 9403. If there were crests here, they have been removed.

Too bad the trail doesn't stay any more visible than the old route is coming down off the peak. Bits and pieces can be found. The rocky, uneven ground has not yet had enough feet to even kick away the looser of the rocks, it seems. I find myself more and more heavily relying on those plastic crests to say where and then they start thinning out as though they are being rationed. It does help that I am following a ridge, but it's rather flat topped and it does split from time to time.

fat, squat juniper
Taking an interest in a tree along the way.

very clear trail
Nothing like following blazes over the top of something only to find clear trail around the side of it at the bottom. I'll try this one on the way up.

Collins Park and Elk Mountain
Getting to see more of Collins Park between here and O Bar O Mountain.

There are four roads that come up to the ridge top and stop, according to my map. I am rather surprised to find that three of them actually seem to exist. They vary from barely used to vanishing, but there is at least a hint of each one. One climbs a little way and the trail seems to follow the bulldozer track that is the road, faint as it is. Seems to, because I really can't see trail but markers keep popping up along the side. The bulldozer track is only visible at its edges itself. Man, oh man, could this trail have used the 400 feet or so this year and however many in each previous year.

elk butts
Accidentally chasing elk on the trail. Well, there's a crest anyway. Some of the crests in this area have been mildly eaten by something.

Pinon Knob with much burned tree
Lots of burned trees up on Pinon Knob.

As I set eye on Pinon Knob, I am all out of desire to actually find this trail. I can see my goal and there isn't trail up to the top of it, so I can just got there. Oddly, as I make my way along my own zig-zag on that last down, I seem to be more on trail than during the previous mile. The trail would carry me up again halfway or so, but I just don't care and go my own way, only to run into markings again. It doesn't matter, because I am climbing and it is mostly not. There are a few trees down on the climb, but none that are very big. It is not too bad an obstacle course.

hills from on the hill
The surrounding hills to the east from halfway up Pinon Knob.

The top still has a few trees and gained a little view. The Forest Service dropped one of their "visible area map point" benchmarks, which is the same as the one above except it took a lot more pounding to mark it with everything back on 10-22-1938. Even the date takes more pounding. The register here must not have survived the fire because there is a new one with entries only from last year. I'm the fifth to sign, but that represents quite a bit more frequent visits.

Elk Mountain
The imposing bulk of Elk Mountain.

from around Buzzard Peak
Looking up at Eagle Peak with its lookout.

Cox Canyon
Looking down into Cox Canyon, which is not as nice a place to hike.

more hills
Those baldies might be out that way, which is roughly southwest.

Down again, I aim at the east side of the mountain that sort of had a little bit of trail on it. It doesn't really help much for the getting down, so I end up rounding the mountain to bump into the trail again. It is really tempting to follow down to the saddle and then cross country down to the road. It sure would be a lot easier. But I drove that road already and I know it's kind of miserable. Also, I'm getting a little grumpy about all these hikers who are supposedly hiking this trail but can't be bothered to hike this trail. Not THIS part. It should be getting the feet it needs to be a good trail. Don't Panic said the alternate is about going along the "more interesting" bit, but along here it is just a shortcut and they're missing out on something much better than the road down there. A divide is a crest and crests are nice bits. So I won't do it. I'll make another attempt at following this trail which is really only a route between cairns, blazes, and crests. So up I go, missing at least as much of the trail as I did coming down, but often different bits.

mountains to the east
Mountains to the east of Collins Park giving a much better view than can be found along a dusty road through a dusty canyon.

dispersed trees in the grass
Plenty of spots that are a bit like a park full of trees to wander through too.

I really did these trails in order from easiest to hardest to find. As I lose and regain trail over and over, I am ready to claim anyone skipping this bit didn't hike it in its entirety. Especially not Mr. "You're going the wrong way." Okay, it's hard to pick on all of them, but that guy... what a twerp. You're on the wrong trail!

tiny bit of trail
Hey, look, a bit of trail! Real CDT right on the divide!

I chug along, hoping to get up by peak 9403 before sunset. After that, there are only a few short tough spots to find. But really, it would be something to get lost climbing a ridge line that I've already been along earlier in the day. There was one spot I noticed with trail around something I had just come down from, so I try it on the way up. Huge cairns and super obvious blazes call me from above, but I keep with the trail and the trail keeps on going with a gentle climb until almost at the next saddle where it just dissipates. It was actually difficult steps above where all the trail markers are, but easy around the side with no trail markers at all. I don't know if someone built it or it is just cows, but it is much nicer trail. Then it is back to clambering over each bump except that very highest.

dark trees against the light sky
Silhouettes of the trees, and lack of trees, along the ridge that Trail 15 follows.

One bit of nasty burn area tries to get me, even with the light. I know I'm way off the route I came down on, but I'm not sure where that was. It was closer to correct than my route up. I end up with a bit of extra climb, but am back on the "trail" as it dips again. Then more climb. It really is a lot of climbing for the second half of the day. So it goes. I am back to the road section with some light remaining and the short difficult bits do offer some stumbling, but then the huge moon rising makes me happy to still be out and get to hike under it.

moon rising in dark trees
The rising of a great big moon. Not that I would dare have my tripod along to actually be able to take the picture.

There is not much left to hike. I did have to run a few cows off it to pass, they seem to get high up when the day gets late. Someone has left a memorial poster on the back of a tree. Why here? It doesn't say. Then I am back at the road and there is nothing more to do than get some food and sleep and then away from danger camp.




©2019 Valerie Norton
Written 7 Jul 2019



Liked this? Interesting? Click the three bars at the top left for the menu to read more or subscribe!


Comments

follow by email

popular posts:

Jennie Lakes: Belle Canyon and Rowell Meadow

Lost Coast: Cooskie Creek Route

Mount Lassic

Elliot Peak