Circle Benchmark

Kaibab National Forest


Click for map.

The weatherman was promising a day of possible rain followed by another of definite snow. I scuttled off and stopped 700 feet below the predicted snow level while the snowplows were mobilizing into position to be useful. I'm not sure how my position might be useful, but I'll at least get the nearby benchmark. I'd like to go up Bill Williams Mountain, but that's 10 miles back and 2700 feet above predicted snowline. And how did getting below the snow work? Well, when the sun went down, the rain turned to snow. Not as much as there will be for the second wave of storm, which will be a blanket of a few inches, but it's sticking a little.

nice road
The road south off mile post 151 has had some improvement, at least this far.

There's a road of sorts heading up my way, but it is just someone's camp site. It hasn't been used much and the dirt isn't compacted enough to make walking through the mud any easier. The mud here is very friendly and enthusiastic to come with me. I walked across this dirt a little when it was still dry and found that although it compacted under my feet a little, it was steady. Now it compacts a lot and some steps are uncertain. I have more rocks away from the road and they make for better footing, so I'm not sad to see the road end.

tufts of snow in the grass
Just little bits of snow all over.

a little snow on black rocks
Volcanic rocks and volcanic soils. These are funny things when wet.

So I wander into the morning sun through the juniper to the top. Plenty of room between them. Some small structure once stood near the top. Past it, there is the benchmark, perched on a small rise of volcanic rocks with half a grand view. They do tend to like to put these things such that there is a view.


tiny roof and some more sticks
The remains of some small building.

reference mark pointing to the station
Something to help point my way, which proves helpful as the station is surprisingly elusive.

I-40
I-40 as it drops out of the bulk of the snow that came down last night and yesterday.

highest point of the rocks
The high point of the rocks, but the benchmark is in a depression of a larger rock.

Flat Mesa
Flat Mesa and maybe even Bill Williams behind it. Probably not quite that far before the clouds hide everything.

highway and interchange
The highway and interchange and some distant hills. There is mountain bike trail over there.

I swing to the south on my way back down. Somewhere on this wide, low hill there must be a view that way and maybe something better looking west as well.

southern view
Something of the southern view. There are low hills along the left, then lots of prairie. The Quarter Circle XX Ranch is somewhere there. That is probably where the benchmark name comes from.

westerly and a little south
The westerly view is of prairie as well. There were far mountains yesterday, but now they are in clouds.

juniper tree among bushes
In a land of juniper bushes, an actual tree stands out.




©2019 Valerie Norton
Written 24 Dec 2019

Liked this? Interesting? Click the three bars at the top left for the menu to read more or subscribe!


Comments

follow by email

popular posts:

Jennie Lakes: Belle Canyon and Rowell Meadow

Lost Coast: Cooskie Creek Route

Mount Lassic

If the Map's Wrong, Fix It!