Henninger Flat

Angeles National Forest

I decided to head on up to Henninger Flats along the toll road this evening. I need to walk more, after all. Just past the two mile marker, I saw a nice tree full of flowers and sketched it.

Branch light on leaves and heavy with flowers.
A flowering tree along the road.

From there, I continued up to Henninger and a little bit further. There were three deer in the campground and another one just outside it. I went on up to where a road heads off to the west, quickly splitting into a numbered route and a road to a helicopter pad. By then the sun was set. I'd driven up to the start, hiked about three miles uphill, and got a sketch done in just a little more than two hours.

I took a good look around because it was still time for colors in the sky and I'd not been up that far and the road had just reached the edge of a ridge with the far side having a little different character from the side I'd been up. Then I hiked back down. It was shortly after 9PM when I got back to the gate, locked sunset to sunrise. It really was locked, so I had to backtrack to the other side of the bridge and follow the trail along the creek a little way before crossing and climbing out to my usual parking space along Altadena then hike back up the roads to the car. It worked out and I got to lead a fellow who hadn't believed the sign along the shorter way back than going all the way down to the lot that is nearly to New York.

Liked this? Interesting? Click the three bars at the top left for the menu to read more or subscribe!


Comments

follow by email

popular posts:

Jennie Lakes: Belle Canyon and Rowell Meadow

Lost Coast: Cooskie Creek Route

Mount Lassic

If the Map's Wrong, Fix It!