I set out today to hike Dos Pueblos Canyon or Arroyo Hondo, but didn't end up at either. There is an exit for Dos Pueblos, but turning down the actual road means coming to a sign saying, "Private Road, no thru traffic". I have no idea what anyone would to "thru" or through on this road to. It is supposed to go up the canyon a ways and stop. A couple trucks passed me as I glared at the sign and my map, but neither felt much like helping. The road did not look in particularly good shape and since I had a plan B, I thought I'd go with it.
Somewhere further is Arroyo Hondo. I found Arroyo Hondo Preserve very soon after, sooner than expected in fact. They do not want people coming in unannounced, though. I was expecting a friendly parking lot with a trail opened about a year ago, this isn't it. I continued along failing to find something promising or a sign to designate it. I turned around and did something I've kind of been wanting to do for a while instead.
When traveling near Gaviota along the decidedly east-west section of highways 101 and 1, one often catches a glimpse of a huge bridge. It is lower than the level of the freeway, so you can see the black top stretching across it. This long narrow expanse once carried the traffic of the main route from Los Angeles to San Francisco and it is easy to visit, if you are traveling southbound, by getting off at a "vista point" that is directly east of it. Park along the side and walk west to the bridge.
Old highway bridge over Arroyo Hondo.
The bridge has been left with no barriers of any kind and is still quite solid. My childhood memories claim there was a sign here explaining its purpose for being, but that has been replaced with a sign about the fish ladder that has been built to allow the trout to come back to Arroyo Hondo. (Ah ha! A clue for finding the place next time, this is the canyon.) A quick search confirms that there was a sign and adds that the bridge was built in 1918 and carried state route 2, a moniker for a very different road now. I walked across the bridge and examined the ends for a date, but could not find one. Although it was the whole highway once, the reflectors that remain hint that it became just southbound at some point.
Fish ladder.
I could look down directly to the fish ladder that is now the talk of the local signage. The current highway rattles over a lot of fill and the stream went through a culvert previously. In low water, there is not enough for the fish to swim through and in high water, the surge of water is too great to allow the trout to swim upstream. Now that has been replaced with this series of pools so that the steelhead can return to this stream.
Gulls on the beach through the trestle bridge.
Of course, there is a vista at this vista as well. The coast is quite spectacular. Three islands can be seen: Santa Cruz, Santa Rosa, and San Miguel. Today visibility is not as good as it could be, but the islands still peek out over the lower haze. A small plane flew by eastward very, very low over the water, then returned westward.
The coastal view looking west.
Crossing the train tracks and looking down, there is aremnantof sea wall. The high tide waves were crashing against it. In one spot, they produced a geyser. The splashes and the reflecting waves were fun to watch. The foam makes different patterns where the water turns back.
A wave hitting the sea wall. It forms, hits, splashes, and reflects into the next wave.
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
Liked this? Interesting? Click the three bars at the top left for the menu to read more or subscribe!
Coconino National Forest Click for map. I seem to be collecting fire lookouts, but the inclusion of Wing Mountain on the list of Arizona lookouts on Peakbagger wasn't what got my notice. It was the simple fact that the quad west of Humphreys Peak is named for Wing Mountain. I'm a bit suspicious about it being a lookout because there is not so much as a trail going up it, much less a road that is common for such things. People who have climbed it seem to have just picked a side and gone for it. I picked the side where there is a shoulder called Little Wing Mountain so I could climb and get the benchmark, then move nearly halfway around the crater to the high point. It is a side that looked highly climbable from afar, which seems like another plus. Forest road 222 (Wing Mountain Road) in seems generally maintained, but 519 only happens to be passable for my little car by a bit of luck. I park at 9230C where someone has had a camp site. It is a little way down the hill fro...
Since I last wrote about digital maps, the S1 Mobile app has been shut down and the Forest Service released a new map app that looks pretty good. It might be time for a new post on maps. (Check the "equipment" tag for older editions.) USFS app in offline mode showing a section of the Pacific Crest Trail north of Marble Mountain Wilderness including intersecting roads, streams, and contours. As before, this will focus on legal, free ways to have maps stored on your handheld computer (AKA "phone") so you can have them anywhere and any time. While these are free, it does help insure that independent developers keep going next year if you send some money toward them. My criteria for a map app: Works offline. If you only have a map when online, you don't have a map. It is as simple as that. This is non-negotiable. Maps should include contours. I'm looking to hike with these maps after all. Shows location. User configurable storage opt...
Redwood National Park Click for interactive map On the prior Thursday, I joined the California Invasive Species Advisory Committee's invasive species tour of Eureka. It was at the last minute because I figured I knew all about these things since I spend a bit of time each week hacking them down as a volunteer. Of course, they were talking about the lesser known things and the tour started out with aphids that affect Sitka spruce terribly as we toured Mouralherwaqh, a patch of land that is Wiyot again. This one is not open to the general public, but we also visited the 'O Rew Redwood Gateway, a piece of land that is Yurok again, and is open to the public as of 1 Aug and where I discovered a new trail. I also noted that although this was most recently an abandoned mill site, there are some nice rounded tree tops poking out of the forest nearby, one of the signs of old growth. I decided I would be back to try that new trail. The sign at the after hours/overflow parking a...
Patapsco Valley State Park interactive map link I was charged with deciding on a hike that kids could do, except I have no experience in this or in evaluating what a particular kid can do. Plus, I would be without any parental supervision. Alltrails offered up Cascade Falls as a possible suitable suggestion, except that it would be done on the weekend and is a very popular location. I liked a climb on Garrett's Pass and a drop on the Cascade Falls Trail, which is 4 miles and only 300 feet or so from bottom to top. (It goes from ~20m to ~100m.) That's not so much, right? And I even had the means for up to 2 kids to be self sufficient, able to carry water, snacks, camera, and a light sweater on their own. Self sufficiency for the win, right? The hike would be in the Patapsco Valley State Park, like most my hikes would likely be. This park has a mix of free lots and pay lots. The pay lots have different prices for in state or out of state, weekends/holidays or weekdays. T...
Comments