A warm day is a good day to head up the mountain. It is a little cooler up there. I went up to the top of Gibraltar for a short, mild scramble of a hike out to Rocky Pine Ridge. There are other ways up, but this is the easy one. To prove it is easy, I fail to find the correct trail at first and have to make a second attempt. Once on the correct trail, the way might still not be obvious. The surface is shale and there are plenty of apparent routes through the brush. There have also been many people out here recently and the path they walked is obvious by the shapeless footprints. A little higher, as the track winds up a northern slope, the brush closes in and makes losing the route impossible. The sloped shale makes uncertain footing.
La Cumbre topped with a decaying fire lookout and the tooth of Cathedral start the march of peaks to the west.
It seems to finish climbing and then starts wrapping around the little peak. Soon my destination is laid out before me. The crest of sandstone pillars supports a spattering of coulter pines. The surface below my feet changes too, becoming the much more stable sandstone.
A stand of coulter pines hangs onto the rocky crest ahead. This is Rocky Pine Ridge. (Click to embiggen.)
There is a well established trail up to my left that has been rocked off. Fresh prints continue the way I am going, but no prints can be seen on the other. It seems no one wants to go to the peak. I do and so take the turn and mar the perfectly clean path.
Someone has placed a sign at the top. "White Mt. elev. 3804'"
The only peak sign that I know of for many miles greets me. I once climbed up to it on a Wednesday evening hike starting at Rattlesnake Canyon and coming up to Gibraltar Road for about a mile before starting up a longer trail. Some went down via the ridge below and a trail that comes out near the Tunnel and Rattlesnake intersection saying that way was quicker. It turns out they were right. Today, I am just happy to place it better in my mental map.
Mountains from west to east, but mostly northerly. (Click to embiggen.)
Although no one has come up here in the life of an ephemeral footprint, plenty have come. There is not much view from the ground, but there are plenty of boulders all easily climbed to gain the view the brush is trying to hide. The flat top requires climbing a few different rocks to get the whole view.
Rumors are that Little Pine Mountain is full of poppies now and indeed, there is a distant orange splotch. The distant high point of the Santa Ynez range across from Old Man Mountain and its tooth.
The trail heads down from here. The route I came up along before is also rocked off, but also marked with a large cairn. It holds no attraction for today. I head down further. There is one last brief climb up onto the ridge.
A slight saddle lies between here and the ridge. We seem to have a big boat tied up today.
Once on the ridge, the trail is a little harder to follow. There is often more than one and some are easier to walk than others. Sometimes there is a trail behind the ridge, as well, which is usually the easiest but the least interesting.
The eastern coast and Gibraltar Road winding its way up to the trailhead. From the side, the pillars are obviously uplifted sandstone at a sharp angle.
There is a usual end point to this and I only go as far as that. From here, travel becomes quite hard. We sometimes climb up to near here on Wednesday evenings. Subjectively it feels like 2 miles up from the official trail, but the GPS has only ever admitted to 0.6 miles. I am looking to relax in the warm sun instead, so find a perch with a view for a while before heading back up.
A cave big enough to sleep in just north of my perch. More holes in the nearby rocks.
The route back up is a little easier after just coming down it, but not entirely. Things always look different going in the other direction and I lose my path a few times. Often, I can just track my footprints, but there are none when there is a rock scramble.
Another tunnel in the sandstone. There are blues in the rocks, but none so bright as a blue belly. Thin walkways lead to isolated patches among the rocks. Fire takes its toll here, too. A new tree takes advantage of where some much larger, burned tree once stood.
After only a few bumps and scrapes, I have managed to climb back up the easy part of the ridge. Climbing back up the side of the mountain to get around it is easier on this side. The shale seems especially steep going down it. The total hike is just a little over 2 miles.
Since I last wrote about digital maps, the S1 Mobile app has been shut down and the Forest Service released a new map app that looks pretty good. It might be time for a new post on maps. (Check the "equipment" tag for older editions.) USFS app in offline mode showing a section of the Pacific Crest Trail north of Marble Mountain Wilderness including intersecting roads, streams, and contours. As before, this will focus on legal, free ways to have maps stored on your handheld computer (AKA "phone") so you can have them anywhere and any time. While these are free, it does help insure that independent developers keep going next year if you send some money toward them. My criteria for a map app: Works offline. If you only have a map when online, you don't have a map. It is as simple as that. This is non-negotiable. Maps should include contours. I'm looking to hike with these maps after all. Shows location. User configurable storage opt...
Patapsco Valley State Park interactive map link I was charged with deciding on a hike that kids could do, except I have no experience in this or in evaluating what a particular kid can do. Plus, I would be without any parental supervision. Alltrails offered up Cascade Falls as a possible suitable suggestion, except that it would be done on the weekend and is a very popular location. I liked a climb on Garrett's Pass and a drop on the Cascade Falls Trail, which is 4 miles and only 300 feet or so from bottom to top. (It goes from ~20m to ~100m.) That's not so much, right? And I even had the means for up to 2 kids to be self sufficient, able to carry water, snacks, camera, and a light sweater on their own. Self sufficiency for the win, right? The hike would be in the Patapsco Valley State Park, like most my hikes would likely be. This park has a mix of free lots and pay lots. The pay lots have different prices for in state or out of state, weekends/holidays or weekdays. T...
Redwood National Park Click for interactive map On the prior Thursday, I joined the California Invasive Species Advisory Committee's invasive species tour of Eureka. It was at the last minute because I figured I knew all about these things since I spend a bit of time each week hacking them down as a volunteer. Of course, they were talking about the lesser known things and the tour started out with aphids that affect Sitka spruce terribly as we toured Mouralherwaqh, a patch of land that is Wiyot again. This one is not open to the general public, but we also visited the 'O Rew Redwood Gateway, a piece of land that is Yurok again, and is open to the public as of 1 Aug and where I discovered a new trail. I also noted that although this was most recently an abandoned mill site, there are some nice rounded tree tops poking out of the forest nearby, one of the signs of old growth. I decided I would be back to try that new trail. The sign at the after hours/overflow parking a...
Picture Canyon Natural and Cultural Preserve Click for map. Picture Canyon is a little bit of open space developed jointly by the City of Flagstaff and Arizona State Parks. It boasts cultural artifacts and plenty of birding. The Tom Moody Trail makes a loop through the area to take in some of these. It sits at the edge of a couple bits of industry and my nose can't help but tell me that one of those is sewage treatment. Um, I mean "waste water". That won't dominate the whole area, but it is noticed in the wetter spots. A place to start with some parking. Signs include an area map. Ground zero for the stink up ahead, but certainly not the source. That is throughout the city. Trail heads toward the smell past an "outdoor classroom" that is benches and a semicircle of educational signs, then the loop splits. I head left away from the smell and into the trees, but also away from the cultural artifacts. It's an old road through gentle hil...
Comments