Ryan Creek

McKay Community Forest


(map link)

I was battling the "but I've already been"s when I visited the newly opened section of McKay. The north end is well used, but not expected to open until the coming summer. (The previous section was aiming at the summer, too, but got the fall.) It's hard to just leave it when seeing so many people enjoying the area. I broke down and went for a look.

00: road into treed area
The main entry into the north end of McKay Community Forest should probably be locked

I wandered in under the trees along the road, then nearly immediately turned off onto a well used trail heading east of the road. I was struck by how much more open the forest is in this area. It doesn't hurt that the day was nice and sunny without having to wait for it.

01: trees and ferns
Trail among the trees leaving and ferns that haven't been stomped

02: water hiding in a little cleft
A small stream comes down the hill

03: tree trunks and ferns
It's a hilled place with lots of trees

Trails split off to the east, but I know that the community forest isn't all that wide. I eventually selected an old road to travel along as it dropped to Ryan Creek, then headed west to the main road once more. Some bicyclists came down behind me.

04: junction
Junction of old roads when arriving near Ryan Creek

05: marshy area in wide Ryan Creek
Old cattails abound in an extremely wide area of the creek that stays flooded

06: green headed floating feathery critters
Mallards, denizens of the flooded spaces

This road crosses over Ryan Creek on a bridge to where there is a conservation easement allowing hiking on the existing roads. The creek winds along the not quite flat area. When it is far off, there's a flat of thick dark trees and when it is close there is a muddy canal. On the other side is a section of forest that was recently logged leaving only a few clumps of trees. Further on, it all closes in with trees again.

08: dark road
Dark forest on both sides

09: bare maple at a junction
Not sure which climbing roads are available, I stayed along the creek

10: liverwort covered trees
The maples and other deciduous trees are like monsters in the winter

11: big stumps covered in green stuff
Stumps from the first cutting

13: fat tree
There's a couple colossal spruces by the creek

I was thinking it was time to turn around, but didn't seem to be doing it. I spotted a well established trail toward the creek and took it to where a log jam makes a dry foot crossing of Ryan Creek possible. I then turned back, but on the other side of the creek. It was looking faintly familiar.

15: cluster of logs in water
A number of bridges are planned, but for now there's a bunch of log jams

16: thick forest with a trail
A piece of the jungle of a forest on the west side of Ryan Creek

The going was good until I got to a spot on the trail that was flooded under inches of water at least. That felt particularly familiar. Apparently I found a way before. This time, I wandered toward the creek to go around and ultimately crossed it again on another log jam. I made my way through the lesser of the brambles to the road on the far side. There was a ripping sound at one point which I later discovered was the top pocket of my abused pack failing.

17: muddy canal
Ryan Creek as a muddy canal

18: grasses tilting north
Grasses above the water show where the water pushed them when it was running higher

I headed back the way I'd come, sticking to the main road except for a diversion along another road. It eventually gets to some private property, but I didn't go that far. I found the hole in my pocket when I went for a snack and tucked everything into other places.

19: green heads floating in water
Even more ducks on the return

20: grown in flat
Brambles and cattails in a flat expanse

21: wide road and fencing
Roads and trail and fencing at the junction

So that's an especially nice piece of forest, for the most part. I see why so many people go there. On the other hand, a few happy direction signs as found in the open section go a long way to feeling welcomed. Also, it's time to just pack everything into the new pack so I don't use the one that's falling apart. The last one got used until the top pocket tore out, too.


*Humboldt album*




©2023 Valerie Norton
Written 9 Jan 2023


Liked this? Interesting? Click the three bars at the top left for the menu to read more or subscribe!


Comments

follow by email

popular posts:

Jennie Lakes: Belle Canyon and Rowell Meadow

Lost Coast: Cooskie Creek Route

Mount Lassic

If the Map's Wrong, Fix It!