Mad River Levee

Blue Lake area


Click for map.

There's not much parking right by the levee, so I parked along the street a block away where there was plenty of room. Also Mad River Brewing across the street. I understand some people really need to know that sort of thing. The levee itself is open to the public along the top and the slope down to the river, according to the sign on the gravel side. There's a space for a missing sign on the paved side that gets a lot more use.

levee top and the slope
Open an hour before sunrise to an hour after sunset as a walking path and river access. And in the future, I should try to notice when that lens hood is out of alignment.

paved path
The paved side of the levee path, which sees more people.

Hatchery Road bridge
The Mad River. This time of year, it should be much higher.

I head down the paved section because that's the way that will get me to the geocaches I'm plotting to find today. There are a few other walkers, but most of the activity today seems to be fishing. They're all along the river, usually in tall waders and standing knee deep in the flow. On the other side, it's a tad bit industrial.

porta-potty rear
If you just ignore the, uh, porta-potty provider, there's some pretty out this way too.

The paving comes to an end. There is a loop trail that heads back into the city streets and along a creek, but a lot more trails snake their way downward into the river flood plain. That's my route. The trail joins road again before leaving it again. It must be public, because there's a few more fishermen who have parked themselves out on the gravel bar in the river via it. It's a little more like an undeveloped park in this area.


trail down to the river
A bit of trail snaking directly down to the river. I'll take this one back but parallel the river now.

fishermen in the river
A couple of fishermen on the river.

thin trees and reeds
The trail gets quite small as the space between river and city things gets quite small.

I run out of places to keep going, although there does seem to still be the barest scamper of a trail right beside the water, before turning back. I wander along closer to the river. It seems to have some inlets to get around along the bend. I hadn't noticed them on the more used trail that cuts off the bend. I hadn't seen a few of the fishermen either. Or the Fish and Game fella. With a bucket. Is he stocking the river? Is that cheating for the fishermen? They're only allowed to take the ones with a notch on them showing that they are from the hatchery. I guess that bucket couldn't hold too many salmon anyway.

bands of water
The river should be so much higher this time of year.

along the river
Getting pressed toward the road, but there's a lot of area among the pampas grass to wander.

The area is a birding spot in some times of the year, but I just spot a drone. It is hard to miss as it buzzes and hovers directly over my head while I snack by the side of the river. I decide to head over along the other section of levee. It's a little more natural with a backing of cattle grazing and there is immediately a big sign of spring coming.

flowers all over a couple trees
A couple of the trees are "leafing" out in flower petals.

zoom to a mama robin
A lot of zoom makes a little bird watching easy. While robins are supposed to be a sign of spring, they don't always go away.

The path sort of ends at a gate. There is a space to walk through and the levee clearly continues, but there is also the remains of a no trespassing sign. I mean, that could still mean on the levee and down to the river is fine. I'm having a pleasant walk, but decide to turn back and explore down a few paths that drop to the river. Here, the river is only a smaller fork that combines down by Hatchery Road.

looking up the flow
The upstream view. Surely I should be standing in water this time of year.

vulture over the water
Downstream seems more like a long lake. A little more bird watching with a turkey vulture passing by.

petals on the trees, leaves are coming
A little closer look at the flowers on the trees. They're especially nice with the sun shining through.

southward view of pointing bits
Some peaks across the water.

To my surprise, there's a sign on the far side when I get back. I had grumbled to myself about the dreadful people of this world who destroy signs for no good reason. I was totally out of line. There hadn't been any sign yet. The guys putting on the finishing touches have their own grumble that it was 2 years ago they were told to get the kiosk up and they finally can do the sign. There's information on one side marking the loop as the Blue Lake Levee Trail and a watercolor on the other side. Now I know that I'll probably never really see the Blue Lake the place is named for. It was filled from the river before the levee was put in and now only gets filled by rains. Also 65% of the county gets their water from this unusually low river.

new sign in the kiosk
A little bit of learning now available. In spite of the heading, the arial map is marked "Mad River Loop Trail".

I have to admit the levee walk was surprisingly pleasant. I suppose my expectations weren't so high, but it exceeded them easily. Yes, even with the bits of industry.




©2020 Valerie Norton
Written 8 Mar 2020

Liked this? Interesting? Click the three bars at the top left for the menu to read more or subscribe!


Comments

follow by email

popular posts:

Jennie Lakes: Belle Canyon and Rowell Meadow

Mount Lassic

Lost Coast: Cooskie Creek Route

If the Map's Wrong, Fix It!