Vincent's Cabin

Angeles National Forest

San Gabriel Mountains National Monument



Click for map.

I thought I'd spend the night over by Vincent's place. The cabin is supposedly built by a Civil War veteran, so it has some years on it and I will certainly not be staying in it. It is a little way down the Mine Gulch Trail, one of the five trail routes and four road routes to leave Vincent Gap. It is not the hardest to find. That one goes northwest and is a National Recreation Trail, so should get better treatment, but currently has not so much as a sign. The Pacific Crest Trail wanders through from the northeast to the southwest (for the northbound direction) and gets quite a lot of traffic going up Mount Baden-Powell. I ignored that and skirted a permanently locked gate on an old road headed south. A short way down, it is signed for Big Horn Mine along road on the right and Mine Gulch along trail on the left. I hung the left. The right is quite a popular destination and I could hear people along the old wagon track above.

bumble bees in oportunistic growth in a wash
Some nice big bumble bees along the trail.

The trail goes all the way down to Heaton Flat along the San Gabriel River on the other side of the Sheep Mountain Wilderness, if one is so inclined. I turned off on a well worn path atop a fading road bed. This actually passes above the cabin. A second well worn path shortly after goes more directly to it. Along the way are some dark berries that look tempting and a spring with just enough water to turn the trail muddy.

cedar trees
I also noted quite a few cedar trees beside the trail.

cabin from the back
First view of the cabin following trail down from the higher road.

The cabin is a curious thing. The inside seems to have many cans folks have gathered and a few beer bottles they brought. The chimney has collapsed, so the fireplace is unsafe to use. It probably would be anyway. Many of the beams seem to still have bark on them. I rather doubt anything over 100 years old would still have bark on it, but I greatly suspect folks have put quite a bit of work into preserving it over the years. I recall seeing something to the effect of a call to join a work party once. A bag of screws has been left above the door and a few can be seen in use about the place. There are other boards grey with age that are rough hewn and a little more believable.

its bones showing in the cabin
A look within Vincent's cabin.


cans on cross beams that seem newer
I do not believe that all of this wood was placed here by the man.

I walked around the place and around the general area and eventually to the back to look down the collapsed chimney. The area was probably a bit more clear of trees when the cabin was just built.

medium-small rattlesnake in a coil
Coiled upon the chimney rocks. While distracted looking down the chimney, I found this with its nose about 2 inches from my leg, or rather as my leg was 2 inches from its nose since I was the one who approached. It has lifted its head, but settled back down when I moved away quickly and stayed there through the night.

front of the cabin
Back around to the front. The windows had screens once. Now even the walls would not keep out the insects.

another window on the west side
A second window is on the side with the mountain. No windows are placed to let the sunlight in.

There are quite a few flat spots to take for a snooze. The noisier cars are still audible from the highway and the mosquitoes are just numerous enough to be very very annoying. I ate within my mosquito net and was sorry I didn't bother to bring my tent. Sleeping beneath the net was not so bad.

sun coming down the mountain toward the cabin
The sun is rising and will soon get down to here.

A little breakfast and a half mile wander out, this time via the more direct path to the trail, and it is time for a few more peaks.

sunlight in the mists
The sunlight across Pine Mountain.




©2018 Valerie Norton
Posted 11 August 2018

Liked this? Interesting? Click the three bars at the top left for the menu to read more or subscribe!


Comments

follow by email

popular posts:

Jennie Lakes: Belle Canyon and Rowell Meadow

Lost Coast: Cooskie Creek Route

Mount Lassic

If the Map's Wrong, Fix It!