Fey Slough Wildlife Area

California Fish and Wildlife



Click for map.


This little spot is so close to the highway, I have actually noticed it while zooming past, tucked in opposite of the car dealerships. There was heavy traffic leaving the dealerships as I arrived, but no one at the trail.

gates and signs at the trail
Plenty of information signs at the trailhead.


So I stopped at the information signs to find out what was up. The important one was a large map showing areas closed to entry, areas closed to hunting, and areas where hunting is allowed. I had actually found out it is a hunting area prior to stopping by. "Hunting is only allowed in the hunting areas," it says. It goes on to clarify, "No exceptions." It can be important to clarify. "Hunt days are Saturday, Sunday and Wednesdays ONLY." Good thing for me it's Tuesday. "No holidays except if they fall on one of those days." It certainly seemed pretty clear, but I expect it's really important to clarify. Lots more rules as I swung past the gate. No dogs, no horses, no bikes.

flat grassy track between shruberies
More long shadows. Trail is a grassy, gravel road.


Trail is a flat gravel road bed turning grassy except where authorized vehicles roll. It sits between high plants as it parallels the noisy highway for a short way. I marveled at the flatness as I went. Even the paved bike path wasn't quite so absolutely level in all directions.

break between trees to see mountains
A break in the brush and trees shows the mountains beyond.


I turned the corner to find another expanse of straight and flat road. Signs every few hundred feet remind any hunters that this is a closed area to hunting. The land to the left of the trail is closed to everyone. Just past the jumble of growth and a fence are cattle grazing. The young steers closest to the fence bolted, then stepped back a few curious steps as I passed.

more long, narrow, flat expanse between brush
Turning the corner changes the shadows.


dark shapes on tan flats
The cattle in the fully closed area are visible when the brush gets thin.

signs and cars
Leaving the highway behind means it gets a little quieter.


The areas to the right were getting a little more open as I went. I was figuring I'd never see any wildlife along here when I stopped to hear the little bit of bird song that actually is there. They mostly weren't showing themselves. Then I noticed the deer that had long since noticed me.

open space and distant mountains
Now I can see the distant view.

deer with white at the neck
And the deer see me.

three deer set off by the sun
Wait a minute, there's more of them.

back lit smaller deer
The far ones include a faun with spots.

robin on the groun
A pair of robins hopped along in front of me for a minute, but otherwise the birds hid.


I came to the hunting area where signs expressly forbid my entry unless I was a hunter. But it isn't a hunting day! The sign on the left specified that this was only from the 3rd Saturday in October through the 1st Monday in February, which includes January dates. Neither had anything to say about days that weren't hunting days. Really, it's important to clarify. I dithered a bit about continuing. It looks like there is a loop that can be walked doubling the total distance possible.

hunters only sign
Arriving at the hunters only sign. It actually does clarify "no exceptions" except the other side clarifies the rule only applies between certain dates.

levee along the way
Where the loop is is not obvious, but probably along the levee. Hunting is not allowed from levees.


Then I got a text requesting my assistance in a minor emergency, so I turned back after all. Still, it's not a hunting day. I should be able to wander the area when I'm the only one there anyway. On my way out, I noticed one more restriction to visiting posted on the open gate. The area can be closed completely February and March to minimize disturbance of the Aleutian Canada Geese. A lot of restrictions in this little spot beside the highway, but I've seen it packed with cars.




©2020 Valerie Norton
Written 4 Jan 2021


Liked this? Interesting? Click the three bars at the top left for the menu to read more or subscribe!


Comments

follow by email

popular posts:

Jennie Lakes: Belle Canyon and Rowell Meadow

Mount Lassic

Lost Coast: Cooskie Creek Route

If the Map's Wrong, Fix It!