Little South Fork Elk River Trail

Headwaters Forest Reserve



Click for map.


I think I have missed fawn lily (AKA adderstongue) season, which is very strongly April. There's still some to find into May. Thinking of fawn lilies made me think of the Elk River Trail, although the splotchy leaved things there are actually fetid adderstongue which is a different group of the lily family. It would be cool to see in bloom, too. The flowers come February and into March, so it's even more missed. On the other hand, it's a good hike and the bypass at the slide area should be less treacherous now that it has been mostly dry for a few weeks. I headed south to spend the afternoon on a long hike to a tiny loop under old growth redwoods.

big maple leaves and a dangling flower group like white grapes
Beside the citizen science sign for the bigleaf maple, I could see flowers blooming and leaves filling in the gaps. It's hard to get a good look at flowers hanging so high up.


paved road
Along this wide, paved road. The first mile is ADA compliant.


pink flowers
Flowers that don't belong can be found next to the caretaker's residence door.


lots of fruit blooms
A scattering of petals over the ground alerted me to an even more enthusiastic burst of high flowers from... some sort of cherry?


water through the tree limbs
Very few visions of the South Fork Elk River.


drops at every tip
Pondering the placement of drops that happens to be repeated on every arctic butterbur leaf in the area.


simple blooms
There's only a few of the arctic butterbar still in bloom.


The bypass for the slide was still moist, but not slick. The way down the other side had gained some nice steps that helped a little. Next maybe a little gravel, which helps out the rest of the trail a treat.

close to a horsetail
The candy flowers, like this one snuggling up to a horsetail, seemed extra purple.


head of a snake
The garter snake got off the road and then stayed very still so I wouldn't be able to see it.


boiler
The bones of the steam donkey still sit there, rusting.


It's three miles to the bridge and the start of the climb. I set to it, pondering the wild ginger and the sorrels on the way. There's quite a bit more pink to the later than I usually see after January.

trail along old road
The trail is on old road, but not for much longer. Once it really gets climbing, it is narrow and cool.


redwood sorrel in white with purple lines
The more usual later season redwood sorrel that I see.


pink flowers
But the pink flowers of the redwood sorrel are not limited to the early season.


wild mustache
Had I not gone looking for the wild ginger, I might not have seen it. I ended up seeing quite a few.


harvested redwoods
Rather well harvested redwoods.


bouquet of green leaves
The clintonia, another of the lily family, is just about to burst out with flowers.


The trail split and I went right, climbing higher. After a few steps, I was finally surrounded by giants.

burned giant
The giants have been through many fires and show off many scars.


large hole
A large hole in a tree that is very much living.


light through the tunnel
I can just see through this one too.


I sat for a bit among those giants for a late lunching, then I headed out. It was a short way to finding stumps once more and then the end of the loop. It really is quite short. I started the long return.

leaves in circles
The starts of some true lilies. I expect a leopard lily, but iNaturalist mentions there have been redwood lilies "nearby".


purple grey mushroom edge on
There's still some mushrooms to be found. Brilliant yellows and radiant reds and, well, mauve.


giant stump
The giants are all very short and the tall all very slim.


pairs of large leaves, spotted and looking sick
Those fetid adderstongues with their flower stalks drooping, leaving developing seed pods on the dirt.


I was rather expecting I was just in time to meet a mass of people coming for a walk after work as I walked the flatter last three miles. I only found a few people.

wooden railing and water below
The river is really just a creek here and now.


curled yellow shell with a big red foot
I've been missing the sidebands, but I'm not sure this is one. It doesn't have a stripe along the outermost points.


I took a slight detour and walked the little bit of trail for the Redwood EdVenture Quest on the way back. It has better views of the river (but I didn't see any salmon) and a look at the one remaining building.

low water
So much gravel bed. The signs are still up closing the South River Trail stating they are still waiting for low water.


mess of ginger
You really have to look for the wild ginger, but there is plenty to find the moment.


I finished with an hour of light remaining. The days certainly are getting long. Now I'll have to think more seriously about where I might catch a fawn lily in the act of blooming.




©2021 Valerie Norton
Written 3 May 2021


Liked this? Interesting? Click the three bars at the top left for the menu to read more or subscribe!


Comments

follow by email

popular posts:

Jennie Lakes: Belle Canyon and Rowell Meadow

Lost Coast: Cooskie Creek Route

Mount Lassic

Elliot Peak