Wooley Creek: Deer Lick Creek

Klamath National Forest


DAY 1 | DAY 2 | DAY 3 | DAY 4


Click for map.


(Day 4 of  7  4.) I noticed my toilet bag was missing as I packed up. That explained why the pocket it should have been in was shifting differently. I expect it is sitting on the ground at Bear Skull Camp. If I had investigated the oddity either of the first two times I noticed, I'd have been able to grab it on the way back down. I actually went and got a titanium spade that's in there. I'm sure no one wants to find the emergency menstrual cup. Leaving it is neither good for my pocket nor the environment. At least I wasn't trying to grab it for use. I couldn't bring myself to spend two more days on the creek needed to retrieve it. Silicone and plastic and titanium. Arg. I turned to finish off the last threeish miles.

deer at a trickle of water
With the whole of Wooley Creek at its back, this deer wants the trickle of water. Maybe this is the reason for the name of the creek a few feet off. (It's Deer Lick Creek.)

Mule deer notices me too
The mule deer seems to know I'm up on the hill across the curve of the creek.

Clarkia concinna
Some red ribbons beside the trail.


I stomped my way back on the high trails. It was nice to see the Salmon River again. I dropped off my stuff at the car, then went down to it to grab water to try to wash out the poison oak in my clothes as best I could. I only had the one set since I was only supposed to be on one backpacking trip. It was already so hot that I didn't mind pulling on soggy clothes after. It is not the time of year to be at 900 feet. I got in the car and started the long drive to a nearby spot at 5000 feet instead.




©2020 Valerie Norton
Written 10 Jul 2020

Liked this? Interesting? Click the three bars at the top left for the menu to read more or subscribe!


Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi! Stumbled upon this blog as I was recently in the same area and was looking for more information on the cabins. Anyway, ended up reading through your 4-day trek and wanted to let you know the Wooley and Bridge creek trails are now all cleared thanks to Siskiyou Mountain Club. They just finished up work (my brother a part of the crew) on Tuesday, August 23, 2022. You were right to be at a loss for finding that trail - the brushing they had to do to clear it sounded horrendous, and they cleared somewhere between 100-200 downed logs I believe. All is clear now if you're up for re-trying your adventure. ;)
Valerie Norton said…
Well, it's been a few years and a fire, so it was probably a lot worse than I saw it. I've been wondering how the Wooley up to the cabin got so bad since the fire didn't hit there and it was seeing regular clearing. Bridge must have been crazy. It'll be great for the winter and early season to have it open, though. Other times too, of course.

follow by email

popular posts:

Jennie Lakes: Belle Canyon and Rowell Meadow

Lost Coast: Cooskie Creek Route

Mount Lassic

If the Map's Wrong, Fix It!