Wooley Creek: Fowler Cabin

Klamath National Forest


DAY 1  |  DAY 2  |  DAY 3


Purple line (under the orange line) for day 1. Click for map.


It took me a bit longer than expected to drive from the Elbow Springs Trailhead of South Kelsey National Recreation Trail, mostly because I hadn't realized how much highway is in between the two places. Then I got to wanting to check the Red Salmon Complex closure area to be sure I wasn't trying to be in it, but it wasn't posted at the junction with the highway anymore. The open campground "with host" was a bit of a clue the area was open. The host had some fire information posted, but not the closure map. She chatted about the trail based on a great gathering of things she's heard, but had never been on it herself. She told me to look out for one of her campers, a younger trail runner who she had sent up there earlier. It was already 11AM by the time I got back to the trailhead with its signs unchanged since the last time I was there including a claim I could totally have a campfire. The last cleaning date marked on the bathroom door was early September, which was what got me thinking the area might be closed after all. The signs on the road said I could have a stove with a permit, but that permit requires one to check to be sure and as far as I know, it was still no ignition sources of any sort. I had my cold meals packed and got moving with a little bit of hurry. I took a bit longer to get up there the first time than I had available this time.

sign board
The sign board at the trailhead warning that a mountain lion had been sighted "recently" in mountain lion habitat, among other things.

wilderness sign on a tree
Up the steepest hill on the whole trail and into Marble Mountain Wilderness.


It was rather smoky, as I feared it would be, but did not feel bad. It sure looked bad.

mouth of Wooley Creek at the Salmon River
The mouth of Wooley Creek and up the Salmon River. The road is closed about 5 miles further for the fire.


Anyway, I was trying to focus on fall color, although I was suspicious it was still a little early. The few days long cold snap needed to get everything going together hadn't occurred and even in the same tree the leaves often weren't coordinating.

bright yellow fall color
A little water course, a little dash of bright yellows.


green leaves with some color
Another bit of water and things along it are just beginning to change.

velvety red leaves
The dogwoods put up a sparse and delicate red.


Those places that were particularly brushy before no longer felt brushy with a substantial loss of leaves, making the hike a little more pleasant. When I remembered that at least one of them had had a bit of poison oak in it, it was too late.

big leaf low plants in the creek
Not much color in the bunches of Indian rhubarb or the grass tuft.

yellows and reds
Dogwood and maple among the live oaks and conifers.


Deer Lick Creek looked like it would be magnificent soon, but was only a light yellow-green so far. Well, it looked magnificent already if one doesn't get too bothered about expectations of turning leaves.

water passing by
Approaching the creek.

flowing water
Deer Lick Creek sure knows how to flow.

gentle light
A gentle yellowy-green light.


I had managed to leave the car in such a hurry that I hadn't added any water to my supplies, so I stopped briefly at the big creek before continuing on. It only took me an hour to get there, so I wasn't doing too badly with time. Going on, it was getting less smoky and I spotted some little waterfalls I think I missed the first time.

canyon of Wooley Creek
On up the canyon while it is not so smoky.

thin water falling down a cliff
A trickle of water gets very vertical below the trail.

pretty bits of water
Just pretty bits of water.


The big waterfalls were still flowing big by the bridges, too.

big water
That first big waterfall on Haypress Creek.

red edges
Red edges on the indian rhubarb on this bit of Wooley Creek.

light to very dark green
A variety of greens as some prepare to turn.


With being more familiar, the trail certainly felt like it was passing more quickly.

leaf bud petals
The "petals" of the leaf bud of a rhododendron.

smoky sky
Still a bit smoky.

bits of color beside and in Wooley Creek
Color accents and and around Wooley Creek.

Bridge Creek and waterfall
The big waterfall at Bridge Creek.

reds and yellow
Getting a little more color in places along Wooley Creek.

reds and yellows
Dogwood and maple at a pool just short of the cabin.

leaves of all sizes
The variety of leaf size of the big leaf maple.


I got to the cabin in the perfect light of 4:30PM when it was just about ready to vanish behind the mountains, but not quite. I felt speedy although 5.5 hours is less than a 2MPH pace on a rather easy trail. The trees were all further along than what I had generally seen, indicating the spot might be a bit of a cold sink. I got my camp chores done and was determined to spend the rest of the time to sunset observing my surroundings.

Fowler Cabin 1925
Fowler Cabin along Wooley Creek.

valley oak
Last light among the oak leaves.


When it was getting dark, I settled down to eat and read. No trick-or-treaters came for my strawberry candies although I was just 9.6 miles off the road.

Continue to the next day ⇒




©2020 Valerie Norton
Written 20 Nov 2020


Liked this? Interesting? Click the three bars at the top left for the menu to read more or subscribe!


Comments

follow by email

popular posts:

Jennie Lakes: Belle Canyon and Rowell Meadow

Lost Coast: Cooskie Creek Route

Mount Lassic

If the Map's Wrong, Fix It!