Boulder: Boulder Peak and Second Valley

Klamath National Forest


(blue and purple lines, map link)

DAY 1  |  DAY 2

With morning, I had a cold breakfast because I'd run out of everything for a warm breakfast on the previous trips. The sun arrived early and I packed up camp.

060: ants and lines of needles in rock
Industrious thatching ants seemed to be packing the cracks of a nearby boulder with pine needles.

061: lake under sunlight
The algae mats had mostly sunk again at Lower Wright Lake.

I walked out on the track to the trail above, passing a rather official looking sign telling me of destinations higher up on the way. It has an impressive foxtail pine (Klamath subspecies, no doubt) as a sign post. I found the official trail with no trouble and continued up, mostly still in shade.

065: lots of buds
Loads of mountain bog gentian, but still not open.

066: still some opening to do
One single flower was almost open.

067: lake and pointy mountain
Boulder Peak above Lower Wright Lake

068: lake in the morning
Arrival at Upper Wright Lake

Arriving at Upper Wright Lake, I liked my choice to stay below. The obvious camp site barely has room to lay down, but there's also an obvious trail climbing to what might be a better site and a much larger site on the far southeast edge. I strode down to the water to see what I might see.

069: struggling insect
An insect makes little ripples with its struggles, but it will be a meal for the water strider soon.

Then I followed the trail around the edge.

071: trail a bit above water
Boulder Peak just barely visible over Upper Wright Lake.

072: lots of water
Pondering the tree shadows on Upper Wright Lake.

073: blue flowers
Just blooming California Jacob's ladder in the coldest corner of the lake.

From the lake, there's a little more climb to reach the ridge above. It's solid and constant and comes with quite the reward.

074: lots of peaks below here
So many mountains to the south becoming visible, and they all seem to be lower.

This is where I leave the primary trail system for a secondary trail and turn onto Second Valley Trail. It is signed and easy to see. (And the destination stated is Boulder Peak even though the map shows that as a fair distance from the trail.) I just wondered if it would all turn away up the peak leaving no trail where it officially goes.

075: trails
Good trail so far.

077: scratched trees
The bears have left their own signs.

078: even more mountains
More and more view and not even on the peak yet.

079: point of rock
Not far to get to the peak.

081: snow on the ridge
Snow above where Lower Wright Lake is almost visible.

082: yellow paintbrush
Cobwebby paintbrush for a change from the toothed owlsclover.

I didn't find any trail continuing on where the map said there should be some. It all went up. I didn't spend much time looking for any such trail either.

085: curled seed heads
It's a jungle out there. The pasqueflowers have gone to seed.

I followed the main trail as it wound upward past a tree cut but not cleared. (I think the piece didn't have room to roll out and it's a big tree.) Did they think this was official trail? Then I wandered over the top and back down the other side, away from the peak, shortly. Maybe it was the official trail? It certainly looked like tread even if not used much. I backtracked for one of the smaller trails up to the actual peak. Wouldn't want to leave the last little bit of this peak undone. It's a simple walk from this side. I didn't spend much time at the absolute highest point due to the wasp orgy swarming around the area. (Although, they looked an awful lot like ants, just they all had wings. Particularly like the ants that were by camp which had an overabundance of those with wings but weren't all winged. Only male ants have wings.)

089: rock full of wasps
The tip top of Boulder Peak and its occupants.

090: big lake below
Looking down on Lower Wright Lake.

097: feet and valley and more peaks
Relaxing at the top well away from the wasps/ants. I guess Marble Mountain really is much lower, by about 900 feet. Still quite striking.

099: lots of peaks in a wide picture
Lots of Marble Mountain Wilderness and more in the southerly view.

102: 14k mountain
There's still a much bigger mountain over there making its own weather. The great Mount Shasta.

After a while, I headed down to where the trail popped over the ridge. Is it the trail? The map claims it circles around and over the ridge about 400 feet vertical lower, then puts in some switchbacks that are definitely artistic rather than accurate. I've seen lines that bad on these maps before. Or maybe it's an old trail. Maybe it's just gotten that much use, but there was that tree cut on the other side where the map says the trail isn't. It's too wide for a game trail. It was something I knew was there and visible and I decided to give it a try.

103: trail in green
Gentle trail at first as what might be Second Valley Trail goes over the top of the major ridge off Boulder Peak.

As near as I could tell, the area where the trail should be coming down according to the map doesn't look very hospitable to hiking. There are big boulder chutes. I dropped down on dirt in little wiggles never quite feeling too too steep.

104: rocky and grassy steep slope
Is there actually trail over there?

105: cows and pond
It's a long way down toward a cute pond with an island and some cows. The bells were heard all the way to the peak.

I got to a bit of trail where it seemed to clamber through the thick green around a small stream. I stopped to gather water above where the cows frequent, but decided agaist crossing all the growth. That left me downclimbing a rock staircase with much higher than regulation steps. I could see a few crossings below, one of which actually looked attractive. Others were churned to mud by cows.

106: up and across
A lot of green where water flows and the trail probably crosses. It wouldn't be too hard to cross there.

I had a snack among a circle of trees that looked like it could be a nice camp except the cows agreed, then crossed over and found some tread to follow. It was in approximately the right place according to the map and looked like it could really be trail. Cows can put down some very nice tread when they want to. I continued being in approximately the right place on down the valley.

110: rocky valley
Second Valley

That was fine until I got to the spot where the map said I should go back over to Second Valley Creek and cross it. I just found big boulders where the trail was supposed to be, and navigating those, there still wasn't anything like trail and the vegetation was way too much. I retreated and gave the landscape a good examination noting that it didn't always look like there was room bewteen the creek and steep slopes to walk further down. My first instinct for trail was down the other side, staying a little high and out of the vegetation. A bit like the route the cows were running away from me on. Truthfully, there's a choose your own adventure of cow paths through the valley.

111: valley with sudden climb
A look back over a pair of trails to choose from if you were going up.

112: steep and rocky
The creek tends to the east side, getting up to the rocks sometimes.

113: lower valley is wider still
The lower portion of Second Valley. I choose the west (left) side.

My western route worked very well. There was sign of good trail on the east side as well. Someone had stacked a cairn or two on the paths I chose. Choosing the way up would have been a challenge as the paths divide frequently.

114: winding creek
Pausing in some shade before a long stretch of sun. Second Valley Creek winds a route a few feet below the wide valley floor.

115: ridge line and trees and flat valley
Some of what looks like good trail on the east side of the creek.

Suddenly I arrived at a trail covered in footprints. Deep Lake Trail number 5535! That must be a popular hike. Maybe I should have prepared for a wander around to spend a second night over there. I probably had the time. I didn't have the food, so back the way I came. Besides a small cairn near where I hit the trail, there was no sign that there was an intersection there. There was even less sign on the east side where the map puts it.

116: small cairn
Junction? Second Valley Trail number 5529 may not be so popular.

117: Second Valley
Second Valley from the creek crossing. I enjoyed the shade from the clouds, but they didn't help the pictures any.

118: dark peak
Boulder Peak perhaps making its own weather too.

120: lots of blue sky
Certainly don't see that weather over the valley.

121: striking mountain
Another view of Marble Mountain being particularly striking.

I plunged back under the trees shortly before the junction to travel up or down on Wright Lakes Trail (5537) and couldn't help but notice that most choose up. I chose down, stopping once at that rocky ridge for the brief view and a snack, then on down past the parking to my car on the old ford approach.

122: solid trail
The trail as it plunges into the trees.

Nothing came of all those clouds clustering by the peak. I settled once more into my camp. One more wilderness high point achieved!

*the photo album*




©2023 Valerie Norton
Written 17 Sep 2023


Liked this? Interesting? Click the three bars at the top left for the menu to read more or subscribe!


Comments

Why would you trust the topo map, LOL? Agreed, Second Valley Tr. after it drops to the valley bottom meadows is extremely vague.
Valerie Norton said…
Well, the FS topo agrees with the USGS topo, so it's definitely wrong, the only question is how wrong. Even if they put in posts to mark which route was official, the cows would ruin it in the valley.

follow by email

popular posts:

Jennie Lakes: Belle Canyon and Rowell Meadow

Mount Lassic

Lost Coast: Cooskie Creek Route

If the Map's Wrong, Fix It!