Etna: Ruffey Lake

Klamath National Forest


(green line, map link)

DAY 1  |  DAY 2  |  DAY 3

I got a nice warm solar shower and a day in Etna getting my batteries charged (my solar panel is attached to my trailer and I didn't bring it along) and a little time on the internet. Then I headed up to Etna Summit with an overnight plan for a little more time in the Russian Wilderness. Unfortunately, spending the night anywhere around there wasn't very attractive. Fortunately, I still had plenty of afternoon to bump my plans to three days starting with the short hike to Ruffey Lake. It's about 1.5 miles on Pacific Crest Trail and another 0.5 miles on well used side trail.

000: trail and road
Heading south from the large parking area just south of Etna Summit, a road leads down the the PCT leads upward.

001: western valley and peaks
West from Etna Summit across some of that vast parking area. We have more grand peaks to the south!

002: forest of a valley
East toward Etna from Etna Summit. After three miles, this is private logging land.

The trail sticks to the southwest side of the ridge, but I was enjoying mostly shade from all the clouds above. There were loads of sleepy bumble bees on the flowers already.

004: green valley
The view into the sun down Taylor Creek and Russian Creek.

005: bumble asleep
One bumble bee snoozing on the asters.

006: bumble asleep and hiding
Another bumble bee tucked into the mountain coyote mint.

The junction is marked with a sign posted right in the middle of it. Old road comes up from Taylor Lake below and appears to get plenty of use as trail now. It continues up not quite making it to the ridge with the official trail on top of it.

008: mountain over wide ridge top
Up and over the ridge for a first look at Etna Mountain on the way to Ruffey Lake.

I realized I hadn't yet properly eaten lunch and had a long rest at the top of the ridge with the view and the pretty green rocks.

009: valley below
The view out past Etna Mountain to the Scott River valley below.

Then I headed down. The trail has been rerouted into a nice and easy switchbacking drop, but the old more direct trail still drops like a scar through the northern portion of those curves. It is still getting use by hikers which makes for a mildly confusing route.

011: lake and mountain
Ruffey Lake at the bottom of Etna Mountain.

The new trail doesn't quite visit the lake, which may be contributing to people using the old trail. Nearing the bottom, it winds through the trees and passes the lake still up in those trees, blocking most the view of the water. There's a couple minor trails down to the old trail that passed at lake level and had a spur wrapping all the way around the lake.

012: reflecting water
Sneaking a little view across the evening shadowed lake.

I saw no trails that looked like official lake visiting trails by the time I started climbing out of the small basin. There was a faint trail after that I explored a little as a possible use trail up Etna Mountain, but it came to not much. I doubled back and followed one of the unofficial trails down to the lake and around. There's a site on the east side among the trees, but I was set on the open space near the outlet, another area showing many signs of camping.

013: lake under ridge
Ruffey Lake looking back to the ridge where the PCT passes.

017: cone of purple flowers
Lots of rose spirea blooming beside the lake.

019: lower lake and creek
On down Ruffey Creek. Lower Ruffey Lake is visible by its reflection in the shadows.

I fretted a bit about where exactly camp should be, but settled down among the rocks just west of the outlet. Then I grabbed water from way down the outlet rather than directly from the lake, which was a bit of work. The water seeps rather than runs out, so this water has an extra bit of filtering. Old pipe leads from the outlet suggesting this lake has mining history. Then I got some supper and enjoyed the sunset.

020: northern sky at night
The colors of the northern sky.

021: purple mountains majesty
Etna Mountain in purple mountains majesty mode.

I pondered what the regular route up Etna Mountain might be so opened up Peakbagger and checked what it would tell me. I had downloaded the peak while at the library. It said no one has climbed it. It honestly claims that. Well, it does specify that that's just of people on the site. I had the faintest whiff of connectivity to try to find out more, and I did find a little, but only the smallest bit. Curious. I expected it would be a regular local hike.

022: lake under purple sky
Ruffey Lake from camp under the darkening sunset sky.

023: red sky
The darkening sunset sky.

Same trip, next day ⇒

*the photo album*




©2023 Valerie Norton
Written 12 Sep 2023


Liked this? Interesting? Click the three bars at the top left for the menu to read more or subscribe!


Comments

follow by email

popular posts:

Jennie Lakes: Belle Canyon and Rowell Meadow

Mount Lassic

Lost Coast: Cooskie Creek Route

If the Map's Wrong, Fix It!