Clover Gulch

Six Rivers National Forest


(map link)

Clover Gulch hadn't been on my list to do or even possibilities, but the entire trail is about 3 miles, so it wasn't going to turn into a much longer hike and I decided to give it a chance. Besides, I needed water and it is a good place to collect some. Parking is hard to find at the trailhead, and I ended up at the junction of 27N13 (Swim Ridge) and 27N33 (Cobb Ridge). The trail itself starts off as a Jeep road which happened to be marked by long yellow ribbons at the time. I thought "so be it" because you can't always go holding these things against a trail. I started out heading over to the huge culvert under Swim Ridge Road for a look at the stream of water.

00: grassy water and burned trees
The gulch here includes a lovely swimming hole and too many burned trees.

This is still part of the Hopkins Fire 2020, a piece of the August Complex, so there are entirely too many burned trees. I headed up to the trail, or rather road. It was not well used and had raspberries growing up in the middle to a few feet high. It drops down into a meadow where there are no fording possibilities, so that might be why. There are plenty of rock hopping opportunities, so I found it easy to continue.

03: drying grasses in rolling hills
The hills across the little Clover Gulch.

05: pink flowers with dark spots
Thin purple patches were thick with farewell-to-spring.

Route finding was difficult. I was crossing over the stream more than would be expected of a constructed trail. The map actually claimed the trail had stayed up high in the forest without that first crossing. I went up to try to find it, but there was nothing. After a couple interactions with more raspberry, I relented and returned to the side of the pretty little stream. The official line would cross over eventually anyway.

06: line of green
A line of green through the grass.

The meadows were not without their dangers. Those invasive browning grasses were full of seeds and soon so were my shoes and socks. I put on my gaiters and they helped. I was wearing my nice, airy Mesa Trail shoes and they were proving how airy they were by giving those seeds easy access to my toes.

07: grass with a depression
Trail through the seeding grasses.

Once the official line crossed over, I started seeing some trail sign. Cairns of large rocks built up about grass height, sometimes collapsing into the dirt. Once a splash of dark yellow paint on the pealing bark of an oak regrowing from its roots. Smashed over grass because the trail had actually been used in the last week. It really does look like people use it. Unfortunately, there are also some cows and they compete well with their trails.

08: cairn sinking into the ground
What makes a cairn collapse into the ground?

10: much rock among burned trees
Rocky canyon ahead, so the trail goes higher on the north side of the stream.

12: big oak and tall pine
There's still some big, beautiful trees.

13: rocks and oaks in grass
Looking up one hillside that encloses Clover Gulch.

15: odd shaped rock
A sculpture the stream has made with higher and different water over the years.

17: stream and hill
Wide and treed on one side again in Clover Gulch.

20: looking right this way
A mule deer stops so I can't see it.

At a fork in the stream, the trail leaves it and starts to climb to Cobb Ridge Road above. I stopped to get some water for the undoubtedly hot and dry climb.

22: round and hairy
Some very lush looking seep monkeyflowers.

Trail very obviously gets less use once it leaves the creek. I followed the faint suggestion of trail then consulted the map to find it agreeing with me. It really helps that the line on the Forest Service topo seems to be generally accurate. Big old cairns marked a switchback that wasn't captured on the map and above that, things seemed to take a rather steep turn as there was the suggestion of another switchback, but not enough of it left to follow.

After a little bit, it flattened out. There was a long bit of rolling and traveling and, yes, I was still on trail. It vanished crossing a meadow with a cairn marking the center but none at the ends. It turns up again at another meadow and got a bit fainter.

25: grass and trees
Wide meadow as the trail turns to climb again.

I got a bit more frustrated with trail, and asked if I really wanted to climb all the way to the top. Do I? There are some nice views if you look past the burn. I spotted a spring with a spring box and everything below. Perhaps that explains the trail getting even thinner. There is some faint traffic visible that way. I gave up the trail and decided to check it out. It is busy getting choked with invasive Himalayan blackberries, unfortunately. They have a much more vicious thorn than the whitebark raspberries that dominate the area.

26: spring box and blackberries
The spring box below is dry, but the area is very wet.

27: little white flowers
The little watercress is also an invader.

After poking around the spring, I headed down, thus reinforcing that people only get to the spring and no further. But I did get past the end of creek side travel!

28: long red tubes with an explosion of white at the end
Firecracker flowers going off on the hillside.

29: marked meadow
Back across the meadow marked with a cairn on the rock in the middle. The lower trail is the correct one.

30: gulch with one side wooded once
Dropping back down to the stream in the gulch.

The way down seemed a little harder to find than going up, but I mostly managed to find the same trail. Once down to the stream, I stuck to some trail I knew was official (based on cairns and map line) and let the marks on the ground lead me other ways where I wasn't sure.

31: butterfly on flower
A hoary comma on a white brodiaea.

32: moths on flower
Wild forget-me-not moths fighting on a narrowleaf milkweed.

For one section, I tried just going high where the trail supposedly is. I didn't find any there, but I did find some more nice flowers.

33: blue flower with a spur
A furry foothill larkspur.

34: yellow-orange flowers
California poppies going to seed.

Further along, I followed the trail sign across the stream and up onto the other side. Here, I actually did find trail sign. It stayed up higher and I couldn't see the water much. It got harder to find across a seasonal tributary already dry, but then I found actual cut bushes from trail work. Unfortunately, after that I found needed trail work. Staying on trail got harder and harder and eventually I gave it up because it's nicer down by the water anyway and even when it crosses back and forth, the crosses are easy.

35: white horns of flowers
California skullcaps.

38: water
White brodiaea in the stream.

I missed the route back up to the road above and almost made it in sight of the big culvert before the I've-not-been-here feeling got to be too much. I doubled back a little and climbed up to meet it. It would have been fine to continue on, because there actually is a perfectly good path up between the culvert and the junction, too. You can miss the road portion entirely and just play in the stream if you like.

39: water below and hills behind
Leaving the line of green in the higher burn.

40: yellow flowers stalks
A very yellow butter lupine I only found by the road.

It was a good little hike, although frustrating when trying to find trail. The pretty little stream didn't manage to look pretty in any pictures, but it was a delight all the same. After, I headed only a short way back down the road, across the bridge that becomes a high water ford on the Mad River and stopped near the corral where there is a dispersed camping area popular enough to get a "14 day stay limit" sign. The next day, a bear came by, but it took one look at me and figured I was one of those campers that keep their food put away.

41: bear walking through camp
Just a little black bear.

*even more photos in the album*




©2023 Valerie Norton
Written 12 Jul 2023


Liked this? Interesting? Click the three bars at the top left for the menu to read more or subscribe!


Comments

follow by email

popular posts:

Jennie Lakes: Belle Canyon and Rowell Meadow

Mount Lassic

Lost Coast: Cooskie Creek Route

If the Map's Wrong, Fix It!