Monument Valley

Navajo Nation


Rough location: 37.102367, -109.98923.

I had a bit of a scare at midnight when I heard plops of water on the roof. The sign says "impassible when wet" in rather big letters and with my rig, that will be more true than with most. I wasn't sure I'd be able to leave in the morning like I planned. I told myself that after so many months of dry, it couldn't possibly be enough water. I woke up to find that it was actually snow and, indeed, there's not enough of it to worry about. Judging by the cars coming from the south, it was bigger there. The monuments are all dusted with snow in Monument Valley. The Utah portion is littered with turnouts to pull aside and look about. The Arizona portion is a little less accommodating. Careful along the bit where Forrest Gump decided he was done running. There were two out to run that bit while I drove by and I expect it's an absurdly popular activity. It's even in that "101 Ways to Experience San Juan County, Utah" brochure.

buttes and monuments in a long line
The stretch of view upon entering Monument Valley.

mesas and buttes
Mesas and canyons in some areas.

monuments and spires
Monuments and spires in other areas.

road and monuments
Plenty of others stopping, too.


monuments and snow
Those spires from another angle further down the road.




©2019 Valerie Norton
Written 9 Dec 2019

Liked this? Interesting? Click the three bars at the top left for the menu to read more or subscribe!


Comments

follow by email

popular posts:

Jennie Lakes: Belle Canyon and Rowell Meadow

Lost Coast: Cooskie Creek Route

Mount Lassic

If the Map's Wrong, Fix It!