Island Lake

Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest


(map link)

The desert was nice and temperatures pleasant, but the fall colors were on and nothing there was turning. I headed off to the Ruby Mountains to see what they might have. They've been on my list to visit for a while. Something like 10 years ago, I signed up to Caltopo to dump all kinds of information onto a Ruby Mountains map. It's surprisingly easy to find information about both on and off trail routes in the area. I got no takers for the Ruby Crest and canyons loop I wanted to take, so it sat there. No takers 5 years ago either. I hadn't reviewed it recently enough to do it now. There are cross country segments that can be hard in the northern section if you get going in the wrong place. I guess that means no takers once again, but I was going to see a bit of the place. Given that the tarn of Island Lake is east facing, light considerations meant I wanted to do this hike on a morning. It was so early in the afternoon when I arrived at the end of the road, I had to do something. I decided to go for it anyway.

00: glacial canyon
Autumn display looking north in Lamoille Canyon with the trail left of the road ahead

It's only a two mile hike up from the parking lot at the end of Lamoille Canyon to Island Lake. Admittedly, had I reviewed my old map, I'd have wanted to continue on to the Thomas benchmark. That is a class 2 climb if you choose the correct route.

01: trail and parking and mountains
Looking back down the trail to the parking area and the rest of the canyon in autumnal splendor

02: tall purple flower lines
Lupine still blooming

The trail makes a pretty steady climb all the way to the top.

03: line of trees on rocks
Pinyons along the ridge line

05: outflow with rocks to sheet over
Bridge over the outflow from the lake above and lovely rock slabs below

06: bright pink flower
Geraniums have been providing deep red leaves near the ground, but here they are still flowering among those leaves

07: white peaks
Pondering the white peaks along the canyon

08: sun over the tarn
Sun in the face on arriving at Island Lake

10: little island in a lake
Trail into Island Lake

So I wandered around to the south side of the lake, where there's a few little camp sites, to hang out a while. There is use trail going up the north side toward a small pond above. That's part of the typical climb to Thomas Peak. There's also trail around the south side that might go up to a closer peak.

11: lake and north side
Island Lake and the northern and wester edges

Eventually shadow came across the lake and it got rather cold. I headed down. Though it was chill, I made sure to stop and see all the flowers. They're sparse, but varied.

12: yellow flowers with white tips
Some sort of aster

13: another yellow flower
Cinquefoil among the rocks

14: more bright and yellow
Goldenbush

15: white flower
Linanthus

16: purple flower ball
Mountain coyote mint

17: little white flowers
Sandwort

18: molted red and yellow leaves
Details of some autumnal color

19: hot pink bracts
Paintbrush

20: pinking rocks and half a moon
Sunset under a perfect half moon

*Ruby Mountains 2022 photo album*
©2022 Valerie Norton
Written 12 Dec 2022


Liked this? Interesting? Click the three bars at the top left for the menu to read more or subscribe!


Comments

follow by email

popular posts:

Jennie Lakes: Belle Canyon and Rowell Meadow

Mount Lassic

Lost Coast: Cooskie Creek Route

If the Map's Wrong, Fix It!