Garfield Hills High Point

Stillwater Field Office BLM


(map link)

I headed down the good road from camp to another decaying road to hike the high point of the Garfield Hills. I thought I might go up that road far enough to clear the bit of private property around Garfield Flat, but decided against due to the rocks down the middle and just pulled over to park instead. Was that sand? I got out to verify that yep, I'd done an excellent job of parking, completely clearing the road, and sticking myself into somewhat deep sand. Since getting out of the sand would just mean having to find a new place to park, I decided to leave that task for later. No need for extra steps. I did a pretty good job of not fretting about it during the day as I took off up the road. This day would be road travel past the Bataan Mine, then a bit of the ridge between Mable Mountain and the high point to the day's goal. Then I'd take a slightly shorter route back with more cross country and less mine and road.

01: peak over road
Some orientation: to the east, the good road to Mina with Pilot Peak visible over a low spot.

02: low hills and distant mountains
More good road to the west, but Mount Grant is lost in the clouds of this moody day.

03: Excelsior Mountains
The Excelsior Mountains south of Garfield Flat. Yes, the sand was quite visible.

04: block of hills
The high point of Garfield Hills up ahead. It's actually in the back and not visible from here.

The clouds provided a bit of interest as I crossed the flat. There's almost two miles of it from where I parked.

05: puffing clouds
A little energy in the clouds seen over the east.

08: road into foothills
The road finally climbs into some hills.

As the road split for going up to Bataan Mine or around it, I almost missed the junction. That's when I settled that I would go through the mine. Though faint, the road across the wash would have been pretty useable.

09: valley behind
Leaving the valley behind.

13: hard rock in the wash
Some gates in the wash mark where the road crosses it for the mine.

14: high points
The high point is almost visible up in the stuff on the left.

16: structures
The part of the Bataan Mine with structures remaining, although the steps have fallen a bit.

18: stipe of green
Distinctly green rocks are seen in the mining pits.

19: flat below
A little of the view up here.

Just short of rejoining the other road, I got to the ridge line and found an extra road compared to what USGS had mapped. Since I was about to start following that ridge, I headed up it. It appears to have been the dump.

21: mining trash
Just a little of the trash from the mine.

22: peaks to west
Mable Mountain just popping up over the nearby hills on the left.

24: road in wash
The road I left supposedly continues on to connect with more on the far side of the hills.

26: water and mountains
Garfield Flat reflecting with water in its "dry lake bed".

27: peak visible
A little up and Mable Mountain has become very obvious. Mount Grant is still lost in clouds.

29: bunch of peaks
At last, the high point! It's the one in the middle.

I stuck a bit to the south of the ridge as I climbed. There was some sort of somewhat used animal trail there.

31: in flight
A collection of birds passes by.

33: valley of colorful peaks
Off the side, the odd solar farm in Soda Spring Valley and the further Gabbs Valley Range looking colorful.

34: high point
At the top of the highest Garfield Hill.

I arrived at the top, and on such a beautiful day! Well, there did seem to be a bit of dust in the air mucking up the distance viewing. Is 100 miles of visibility really too much to ask? And it wasn't quite as warm as yesterday, but it was still quite tolerable.

35: hidden mine and ridge line
Looking back toward the mine, but it is behind the hill in the middle. I came up the ridge on the right and the lower peak along it is where the good view of Mable Mountain was taken.

36: long ridge and mountain
Mable Mountain from the Garfield Hills high point.

37: little town
Mina, Nevada, seen just over the edge of Black Dyke Mountain.

38: little city and a road
A little bit of larger Luning, Nevada, over the other side of Black Dyke Mountain with its paved road to dinosaurs.

39: full 360 degree panorama
The whole way around. (viewer?)

I suppose anything very far was shrouded in clouds anyway. Mount Grant still hadn't come out and I there might be the bottom of Arc Dome, but the range had collected clouds around its top. Admittedly, the clouds were looking very artistic at times. I turned to start down my cross country route. It was quite a bit rougher than the way up with some very steep sections. Oddly, I was finding vague trails again. It's probably the horses.

42: rough country
My return: heading toward that just visible puddle of water. There's a bit of a dip early on.

43: artistic and tortured juniper tree
A tortured juniper tree on the way.

44: trail in the desert
Seriously, there's a trail right here winding down to the saddle below and up again on the other side.

The rocks changed as I went. I headed up among metamorphic things with interesting patterns and found myself heading down among rounded off granite.

45: in granite
Walking decomposed granite past rounded boulders and having a look back to the false peak that was on the way up.

46: trail and view east
Still following trail and wondering if Arc Dome will come out to play. Or Toiyabe Dome.

47: high spot of land
Almost time to lose sight of the high point (right) as I go around the side of the false peak south of it.

48: lots of was there
Looking back where I was last week. Faint bumps of Lone Mountain on the left and Silver Peak on the right. I guess the air isn't too murky.

After that first up and down, there's a lot of down. I lost what the horses think is reasonable travel, but the brush isn't dense enough to worry about a lack of trail. I did find a couple cairns on the way, but they were probably the corners of mining claims.

50: deep gullies
It's steep down the side toward Black Dyke Mountain.

55: stick in a rock
Hey, a surveyed point! Spot elevation 7041 on the USGS map.

56: a little rocky on the edge
Down the ridge toward the lake.

57: big mountain
Mount Grant finally came out.

I thought about connecting with a road that services a few prospects, but I didn't quite see it from above and took the ridge a little further instead. It was probably better that way. I dropped off it for the road in the wash soon enough anyway. That was easy to see.

58: into the toes
The last of the way down.

59: wash as road
The road follows the wash.

61: wash set free
At least until the wash has no tall edges.

I passed a pair of graders tucked away in another gully surrounded by some deeply red rocks. Below that, the road was beautiful. It wasn't two lanes plus wide like the main road, but it was smooth and free of growth down the middle. At the junction, the good road headed off east along the shortest way to Mina. I went right on decaying road again.

63: back out on the flat
Finishing up all that flat back to the car. The ridge to the right has been deeply red the whole time.

Time to start fretting about the sand again. I grabbed a couple rocks off the road as I finished and dropped them behind the drive tires. It was less than two minutes to get out. It took longer for the engine to warm up than to get out of the trap. My other fret was that there might not be enough unique about this peak after Mable Mountain to warrant the climb, but it did not disappoint. Anyway, that little "hills" high point is a 2000 foot prominence peak!

*photo album*




©2023,2024 Valerie Norton
Written 17 Feb 2024


Liked this? Interesting? Click the three bars at the top left for the menu to read more or subscribe!


Comments

follow by email

popular posts:

Jennie Lakes: Belle Canyon and Rowell Meadow

Mount Lassic

Lost Coast: Cooskie Creek Route

If the Map's Wrong, Fix It!