Kings: Smiths Fork Pass and Yellowstone

Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest

Ashley National Forest


(orange line, map link)

DAY 1  |  DAY 2  |  DAY 3  |  DAY 4

My start was slow because it was a short day anyway. Foolish human. It was a short day because the second half of it was expected to be stormy. Don't waste the bright, sunny bits! And it was bright and sunny, at least to the north. There were two trails across Lower Red Castle Lake. I took the upper one the day before. I decided to backtrack slightly so I could take the lower one back. My deep suspicion that it would be muddier was confirmed. Some of it even has creeks flowing down it. I saw a lot more people. Apparently everyone I'd seen coming up the trail were camped down along this lower route. They were the last people I saw.

036: smaller two toed ungulate
A smaller two toed ungulate: mule deer.

037: trail with water
The watery trail to Lower Red Castle Lake.

038: red rocks and lots of cloud
Rather cloudy to the south past Red Castle.

039: lots of water
Lower Red Castle Lake.

040: blue sky
It's not all cloud.

041: mountain with sun rays
Mount Powell.

This lower trail catches the trail over the pass a little south of the signed junction, right next to the bridge. There's probably a shorter way to get between the trail to Red Castle Lake and this trail heading for Smiths Fork Pass, but it doesn't have a bridge. The bridge lost its railing in some turbulent weather event, but still stands strong.

044: big red rock over creek
Red Castle over East Fork Smith Fork.

045: red rocks and more red rocks
Red Castle and the basin of Red Castle Lake.

046: water over the ledge
Red Castle Falls at full zoom.

047: grey jay bird
Canada jay.

048: rocks and water
There's surprisingly little of Lower Red Castle Lake to be seen on the East Red Castle Trail.

049: Powell and green valley
Green valley to the east and a little sun on Mount Powell.

It never warmed up much and I pulled on my puffy pants even though on a climb. I was determined to see the lakes along the way. I'd not seen much of Lower Red Castle Lake from this trail and what I did see may actually have been a smaller lake nearer the trail. That's a pretty big lake. I turned off trail to see East Red Castle Lake, finding a small use trail with a couple orange flags at the start to follow. The first wave of snow came before I got there. Should I just power through it or wait it out for better views? I settled in behind a pine with the next story in a science fiction anthology I found on my phone and waited it out.

050: snowing over water
The first wave of snow over the small pond near East Red Castle Lake.

It cleared nicely and after not too long. Winning!

051: clouds crowning a layered rock
Clouds lift again off Mount Powell's layers.

052: clouds lifing over water and red rocks
East Red Castle Lake

053: water in a pool and pools of sunlight
Pond below East Red Castle Lake and Red Castle

055: closer to the water
East Red Castle Lake

So I headed up toward the pass once again in sunlight.

056: rock ledge produces waterfalls
The same rock ledge produces waterfalls on this side of Red Castle too.

057: water falling
Zoomed in on the left waterfall.

058: rocks falling and water too
The same ledge from further up the trail.

059: more cascading water
Zoomed in on the right waterfall.

060: red rocks and green dip
How green this valley as I leave it behind.

061: pond of water
A small pond feeds the right falls.

062: lake and pass
The pass ahead and Smiths Fork Pass Lake.

The second wave of snow came as I was approaching the very last trees before the pass. I tucked in behind them and waited this out, too. More sun as reward, but when I took off, I was pretty sure I was perfectly timed to have the next wave as I hit the top.

064: lake at the last of the trees
Smiths Fork Pass Lake with the last trees before the pass to its right.

066: ponds and lakes in the green valley
The numerous lakes and ponds stand out brightly as the next wave of snow builds.

I probably got into some shortcutting trail. I kept meeting better trail that I hadn't seen split off as I climbed, and it was absurdly steep in places. As for the snow, the third wave came as expected.

067: flattened area with snow coming down
Snow coming down on Smiths Fork Pass.

There was no tree to hide behind to wait this one out, but it was much longer lasting anyway. I left Red Castle for Yellowstone in a low cloud. I think I got on a shortcut for the way down, too, because I eventually ran into some much better trail. It was cairns at the top.

068: more ponds on the far side
The new view, somewhat obstructed by cloud.

I found a rock to duck behind, eat some lunch, warm up a little. The wind was leaving it seriously cold. It had improved a little while I waited. I got what might have been my first look at Kings Peak.

070: long row of mountainous bits topped in cloud
The far side of the Yellowstone valley. Kings Peak should be near the small patch of blue to the left, but not actually visible in the cloud crown.

071: climb to pass
Looking back toward Smiths Fork Pass.

072: valley of trees
Anderson Pass and the valley of Yellowstone Creek.

074: trail and valley
Smiths Fork Pass Trail to Yellowstone Trail.

I came to the junction with the Uinta Highline Trail, marked with a multitude of posts and a few signs. The other direction had a big cairn. This would be a worthy trail to through hike. I turned east in this valley that is described as the least interesting way to Kings Peak on Summitpost. It's got better waterfalls than Red Castle, which isn't a bad thing.

078: sudden drop of rock
The same rock layers make ledges on this side of mountain crest too.

080: jumping water
Zoom in for the waterfall and notice the second ledge.

082: set of two waterfalls
Keep checking on them, you can catch two waterfalls.

I was looking to be as close to the peak as I could get for the morning bagging, so crossed the valley and headed for the last ledge with trees. I wanted them to reduce my exposure to both wind and possible storm activity.

083: water cascading
A piece of Yellowstone Creek.

084: creek and lovely bits for it to sit in
Yellowstone Creek.

086: falling water and a small peak
The waterfalls are multiplying.

I got to the ledge and wandered a bit before deciding that one flat spot might do. I stuck up the tent and it just fit, then chucked in most my stuff and headed down to where I'd last seen water to gather the stuff. I got it set to filtering just in time to jump into the tent and wait out a round of rain. The waiting left just enough light to cook and eat and tuck in before another bit of rain.

087: down the valley
Clouds lifted enough to see peaks down the valley.

088: pass with ledges between
Looking back across the waterfalls toward Smiths Fork Pass from near my camp.

I listened to the rain. A single piece of lightning brightened the sky and roared, but there wasn't much storm. It did get colder and the sound of the rain changed.

same trip, next day ⇒


*Wasatch 2022 photo album*




©2022 Valerie Norton
Written 25 Nov 2022


Liked this? Interesting? Click the three bars at the top left for the menu to read more or subscribe!


Comments

follow by email

popular posts:

Jennie Lakes: Belle Canyon and Rowell Meadow

Lost Coast: Cooskie Creek Route

Mount Lassic

If the Map's Wrong, Fix It!